Interiors

Up-cycling a retro stereo cabinet with cane webbing

 

When we moved into our house almost 12 years ago, I remember feeling a bit cross that the previous owners had left some of their furniture in the attic. At the time it made me mad as I thought that they were being lazy by not removing it when they moved out. Fast forward more than a decade later and it’s still there, and one of the pieces got a massive makeover recently.

The unit in question is a 1980s hi-fi cabinet in a teak veneer. So, if you remember back, these units were all the trend for housing our massive, and very impressive stereo systems. I remember my parent’s had one which sat proudly in our lounge. So, I popped up into the attic and had a proper look at it and thought to myself, I can make this look ok.

My next action was to persuade my husband to bring it down from the attic. He was not convinced at all that I could make the unit look even remotely nice. But, after much persuasion, he managed to get it down from the attic in one piece, and I set about the transformation.

First of all it needed a bit of a sand. I was careful not to sand too much as it has a veneer finish, but sanded enough for the paint to have something to grip on to.

Once sanded, I opened a tin of GoodHome Liberty Matt Furniture Paint from B&Q and set about painting it. It took two coats to completely cover the teak and I’m really happy with the matt finish. I had some hand-made cane webbing which was bought for another project and didn’t end up using. The webbing was just slightly too short to cover the glass panel on the cabinet door, so my husband very kindly made a frame to sit inside the existing frame which would make the cane webbing fit, and was ideal as it helped keep the webbing secure on top of the glass. This was all fixed in place with some hot glue – to be honest this was the trickiest part as we needed to use a lot of glue as it kept setting before we had a chance to put it into place. It took us a few times to get there, but it was worth the faffing as it looks great.

The cane webbing is the thing that really makes this piece stand out, and I can say that this is probably the best outcome I’ve had with a diy project recently. It has gone from ugly to lovely in the space of 24 hours.

Products used:-

Paint – B&Q – £9 – https://bit.ly/38AoeYV 
Cane Webbing – Somerset Willow Growers – £20 – https://www.willowgrowers.co.uk/cat/42/cane-webbing
Wood for the faux inside frame – B&Q – £4.20

So, given that the unit was free, this whole project came in at under £35.

Please tag me in your furniture transformation projects on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/projectlaurie – I’d love to see what you do!

Laurie x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *